The I4C Africa hub is a pan-African organisation that fosters home-grown African solutions to civic space challenges and focusses on the following objectives:
- To help unite civil society, human rights defenders and activists to create a common voice across the continent, bringing all of Africa together to fight for an open operating environment
- To be a multi-stakeholder platform for innovation, that emphasises new ideas, practices, creativity, insight, empowerment and services
- To establish a community of practice that brings together all actors for experience and knowledge sharing
- We-Account Social Innovation Challenge – Local Ideas that promote social innovation. In 2018, the Hub supported five ideas that are now scaled to other countries: SEMA (Uganda), Kinara Youth (Tanzania), Freshmarte GS (Nigeria), Dream Factory (Botswana), Tobongisa Technologies (Democratic Republic of Congo).
- Go Pan-African!0: a civic acceleration program to scale-up solutions that foster transparency, accountability, and natural resource management.
- Advocacy campaigns: Unmask Them in Egypt to revoke NGO Law #70, and Jeunes Nous Pouvons to promote youth participation in the DRC 2018 Election
- We-Protect! Legal Support for human rights defenders: This included the Legal Innovation Lab where 33 lawyers, technologists, and campaigners designed solutions and three legal products/services to support human rights lawyers.
- We-Share: CSO resourcing research and action report
- We-Engage: A diagnostic tool for CSOs working on Policy and Advocacy
- We-Protect: Strengthening the Rule of Law and Legal Support for human rights defenders (HRDs)
- Advocacy campaigns to address restrictive NGO laws
Our seven connected regional hubs are growing in both physical and online spaces across Africa, Central Asia, East Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, the Middle East and North Africa, the Pacific and South Asia. Here, people exchange ideas and share their successes, challenges and opportunities in incubating social change and building sustainable solutions.